As a church family (a group of imperfect people seeking the Lord), we believe the Bible is God’s message revealed to us for the purpose of guiding us toward Him. With this in mind, in the Bible (Hebrews 6:1-3) we find essential truths that lay the foundation for our faith in Jesus Christ. These truths are at the core of who we are as a church. Our Elders have also made a number of discernments with regard to topics of conversation in churches.
Our family believes...
(Matthew 5:16,45; 6:1,4,8,9; James 1:17; John 1:1; 14:9; Genesis 1:2; John 4:24; 14:16-20; 2 Peter 1:21)
- Our family believes in God the Father, who is the Creator of all things seen and unseen (Genesis 1:1; Acts 17:24-28; Hebrews 11:3)
- Our family believes in God the Son, Jesus Christ, who is God’s Son and our Savior (John 1:14; 1 John 4:9; John 3:16; 2 Peter 3:18) and who:
- Was born Jesus of Nazareth, both fully human and fully divine, conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary (Matthew 21:11; John 19:19; John 1:14; Romans 5:15-17; Colossians 2:9; 1 John 1:1; Matthew 1:18; Luke 1:26-38)
- Lived and taught the perfect life (John 13:14-16; Philippians 2:1-11; Hebrews 2:14-18; 3:1; 4:14-16; 12:1-3; 1 Peter 2:21; 1 John 2:6)
- Suffered and was unjustly crucified (Luke 23:1-46)
- Died, was buried, and rose from the grave on the third day following His death (Luke 23:44 – 24:8; John 20:24-29; 1 Corinthians 15:3-8)
- Ascended into Heaven and now sits at the right hand of God the Father (Luke 22:69; Acts 1:1-9; Colossians 3:1)
- Promised to return to earth to judge all people, both living and dead (Matthew 24:36-42; John 14:1-3, Acts 1:10-11; 10:39-42; 1 Peter 4:5)
- Our family believes in God the Holy Spirit, who has been God’s presence on earth from the beginning (Genesis 1:1-2) and who:
- Is an active and vital part of God (John 16:5-15; Acts 1:7-8; Romans 8:26-27)
- Lives and works in every baptized believer (Christian) (Acts 2:38; 1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19; 2 Timothy 1:14)
- We believe God inspired the original writings of the 66 books of the Bible and those original writings were without error (inerrant) (Mark 12:36; John 14:26; 16:12-15; Acts 1:16; 1 Corinthians 2:12-13; 2 Timothy 3:14-16; 2 Peter 1:20-21)
- Our family confirms the Bible as the final authority for all matters of faith and practice as it reveals God, God’s vision, God’s purposes, and God’s good news for all people (Isaiah 40:8; Matthew 5:18; 24:35; Romans 15:4; Hebrews 4:12)
- Are separated from God through sin (Isaiah 59:2; Ephesians 4:18; Colossians 1:21)
- Are without hope apart from God’s saving grace through Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23)
- Have hope of salvation (forgiveness of sin and reuniting with God) only by grace (God’s gift of salvation given without merit) through Jesus’ sacrificial death and realized through relationship with Him (Matthew 26:28; Romans 5:9; Ephesians 2:4-9; 1 Peter 1:18-19; 1 John 1:7)
- Believing in and putting their faith in Christ (John 11:25-26; 20:29, 31; Romans 5:1-2; 10:4, 9-10; Mark 16:16)
- Repenting of sin (acknowledging and turning from sin) (Luke 24:45-47; Acts 3:19; 17:30; 2 Peter 3:9)
- Confessing that Jesus Christ is Lord (Matthew 10:32; Romans 10:9-13; Philippians 2:11; 1 John 4:15)
- Being immersed (through baptism) into Christ (Acts 2:38; Romans 6:1-7; Galatians 3:27; Colossians 2:12; 1 Peter 3:21)
- Worship God (2 Kings 17:28-39; Psalms 29:2; 95:6; 99:5, 9; 100:2; Matthew 4:10; John 4:20-24; Romans 12:1; Hebrews 12:28; Revelation 7:11; 14:7; 22:8-9)
- Love each other in perfect unity (John 13:34-35; 15:12; 17:20-23; 1 Corinthians 1:10; Colossians 3:12-14)
- Grow spiritually (Ephesians 4:11-16; Philippians 1:6; 3:12-15; Colossians 1:9-10; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Hebrews 5:12-14; 6:1-2; 1 Peter 2:1-3; 2 Peter 3:17-18)
- Share the good news (Gospel) of Jesus Christ to all people (Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15-16; Acts 4:18-20; 5:27-32, 40-42)
- Serve others (Acts 2:45; 2 Corinthians 9:6-15; 1 Peter 4:8-11)
- Was founded by Christ (Matthew 16:13-18)
- Became established after Christ’s resurrection (Acts 2:14-47)
- Consists of all believing Christians, everywhere
- Has Elders (Shepherds) who are the spiritual leaders and guides of the local church (God’s family) (Acts 20:28; Philippians 1:1; 1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4)
Fairfax Church of Christ Elder’s Statement
Same Sex Marriage
On June 26, 2015 the Supreme Court of the United States announced its decision to overturn the bans in 14 states against same-sex marriage. In effect, same-sex marriage is now legal in all 50 states. As the shepherds charged with serving this flock, we believe a response is in order.
We want to make sure that anyone who experiences same-sex attraction knows that we love them and want them to feel safe here as together we seek to ground our identity in Christ and not in anything less.
We know that this ruling has implications for churches and faith based institutions. While we don’t yet know all of the implications for churches, we do know that “We must obey God rather than men” as the apostles stated. (Acts 5:29)
- God created marriage to be exclusively the union of one man and one woman, and that intimate sexual activity is to occur exclusively within that union.
- The Bible universally condemns all homosexual conduct-sexual contact or intimate relations between persons of the same gender.
- The Holy Bible is the inerrant and perfect Word of God. We are determined to follow its teachings to the fullest extent of our ability.
- We recognize no authority outside the Bible in matters of faith and intend to hold its teachings no matter the cost.
- We subscribe to no creed, catechism, or statement of faith other than the Bible.
We are called to maintain a spirit of Christ at all times. Christ calls us to love one another the same way God has loved us. (A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.
– John 13:34 ESV). It is through our loving actions that people will know we are Christians. (By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. – John 13:35 ESV). It is because of our love for God that we love others and encourage others to be in a relationship with God and not against His teachings.
Therefore, the Fairfax Church of Christ will not host or perform weddings for same sex couples.