- Be a U.S. citizen, physically qualified, favorable National Agency Check.
- Maximum age at time of appointment:
- NAVY (USN) / United States Air Force (USAF) – Active Duty: Commissioned prior to 42 years of age.
- USAF/ USN RESERVE: commissioned prior to 40thUSN allows prior service year-for-year rate up to age 44 (commissioned prior to 45thBirthday).
- ARMY – Active Duty commissioned prior to 42. No waivers.
- ARMY – US ARMY RESERVE (USAR) / ARMY NATIONAL GUARD (ARNG) must be commissioned prior to age 45 or may have 3 years prior service to less than age 47. Prior Service—Age waiver increases each year of prior service USAR prior to age 47 for each qualifying prior service year. Cannot exceed 10 years enlisted or 15 years AFS.
- VETERANS ADMINISTRATION (VA) – Same as for civil service
- BUREAU OF PRISONS (Federal Prison System) – Prior to age 36
- CIVIL AIR PATROL (CAP) – no age limit.
The age limit is subject to the current needs of the Federal Agency and it is best that you contact Service Recruiters for the Armed Forces and Human Resource Personnel for the VA and the Federal BOP. They will provide the most current information.
- Baccalaureate Degree of not less than 120 hours from an accredited university.
- Masters Degree in divinity or a graduate degree in theological studies, which includes at least 72-hour terminal degree in religion, theology or pastoral studies from an accredited institution.
- Be a qualified “religious ministry professional” of a faith group.
- A minimum of two years full time pulpit ministry in a local congregation following completion of the educational requirements.
- Clinical Pastoral Education. Applicants must have completed a minimum of two CPE units for appointment to VA.
- Possess an ecclesiastical endorsement from a faith group recognized by the DoD Armed Forces Chaplains Board.
For more information regarding qualifications or endorsement procedures, Ministers from the Churches of Christ contact:
Dr. Gary G. Payne
Chaplaincy Endorsement Committee
Fairfax Church of Christ
3901 Rugby Road
Fairfax. VA 22033
Church Office: 703-631-2100