Qualifications For Appointment
(Federal Agency Requirements)
- Be a U.S. citizen, physically qualified, favorable National Agency Check
- Maximum age at time of appointment.
• ARMY/NAVY/USAF – Prior to 40 years of age (or 42 with at least two years’ prior active service)
• VA – Same as for civil service
• BOP Federal Prison System – Prior to age 36
• CAP – no age limits
- Baccalaureate Degree of not less than 120 hours.
- Masters Degree in divinity or a graduate degree in theological studies, which includes at least 72 hours from an accredited institution.
- Be a qualified “religious ministry professional” of a faith group.
- Two years’ full time professional religious leadership experience after completing the educational requirements.
- Clinical Pastoral Education. Two CPE units for appointment to VA.
- Have an ecclesiastical endorsement from a faith group recognized by the DoD Armed Forces Chaplains Board.